Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Adulthood… (originaly posted 9/03/08)

To many, the concept of “going green” is appealing.

I personally remember first jumping on the Green bandwagon, back in the late 80’s / early 90’s, before the term “green” meant anything other than the color. I distinctly remember doing a speech in grade 9 about the importance of recycling, the hazards of aerosols, and the chemicals that were being released due to the Styrofoam containers from McDonald’s packaging (remember the McDLT?).

I was absolutely addicted – I had posters on my walls, made sure I cut up those plastic thingys that hold six packs together (I did not want to be responsible for a seal drowning) and preached from my soapbox whenever possible. I even tried to convince my Aunts with young children to start using cloth diapers… that did not go over so well.

Then a funny thing happened, I grew up …

For some reason, when I hit my mid/late teens, the passion I felt for saving the earth went into hibernation. Recycling became about getting my 5 cents back on my soda bottles instead of helping the environment. IF I recycled, it was because I “had” to, not because I SHOULD. I turned the lights on whenever I entered the room, and did not bother to turn them out when I left. I didn’t pay attention to my impact at all.

I was selfish.

A few years ago, things changed. You can thank Al Gore, or whoever you want, but I realized that I had to do my part to make the earth a better place for the future. This “new” passion and awareness that has taken over the globe has caused a revolution – in me, in my company, and across the world. Sure my individual actions are not likely going to save the world or stop the polar ice caps from melting, but imagine the consequences if WE ALL made the choice to do better.

Whether you jump on the bandwagon in order to keep up with the latest trends (thanks again Al) or because you genuinely believe in the environmental movement, it is irrevelant. All you have to do is make a choice. Choose to live your life with the least amount of impact on the environment and do it to the best of YOUR ability. No judgement, no preaching, no guilt. Just do it

No comments:

Post a Comment