Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rocking the Vote... (originally posted 10/15/2009)

Those who stay away from the election think that one
vote will do no good: 'Tis but one step more to think one vote
will do no harm. ~ Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone,
and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your
vote is never lost. ~ John Quincy Adams


The Canadian Federal election is now over and I have never been so embarrassed. Not because of the politicians, mind you. Not even because of shifty campaign tactics. Nope, its because I am embarrassed by my family.

My dad was WITH ME when I went to the polling station and refused to vote. I became incensed and told him if I heard him complain ONCE during this term about the Federal Government I was going lose it. I told him you get what you pay for and you didn't pay for anything so suck it up. He then went on to say "they were all the same" (meaning the politicians) and that it wouldn't matter who got elected!!

My mother on the other hand refused to vote because this election was "a disgrace" because she did not know anything about any of the candidates and there were "hardly any signs"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I rolled my eyes and walked out the door. I should have told her she was an idiot and to read the newspaper once in awhile.

Knock , knock, knock... anyone home!!!?????

To paraphrase Mark Twain, an uneducated vote IS worse than no vote at all. But to use the lack of signs and not knowing anything about the candidates or platforms as an excuse is absurd.

It is our job as Canadian voters to make an effort. Pick up a paper, turn on the TV, go on the Internet! Not knowing about the candidates is no longer an excuse. It is your job to educate yourself.

Get a GRIP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment